Salary: £20,000 to £22,500 (+ 8% pension)
Holiday: 20 days (+ public holidays)
Line Manager: Campaign Manager
Contract: Fixed Contract until 30th June 2022 (with the possibility of extension)
Closes: Monday 20th July at 9am. We will be interviewing on a rolling basis, so please apply ASAP.
This is an exciting opportunity to jump in and quickly develop your volunteer management skills, taking a significant amount of responsibility for an ambitious community outreach plan.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and confident person who enjoys working with volunteers and making a noticeable difference. Working with our current volunteers and recruiting new ones, you will help build relationships across Harrogate & Knaresborough, organising and running regular doorstep and phone outreach sessions, and training volunteers to take more active involvement.
The role requires strong interpersonal skills, patience, persistence, enthusiasm, good communication skills and the ability to work well with anyone. We encourage anyone with these skills to apply, regardless of whether you have had any prior involvement with the Liberal Democrats.
You will have a significant amount of autonomy in managing your workload and will benefit from flexible working. However, due to the nature of working with volunteers and leading community outreach sessions, it will be necessary to work evenings and weekends on a fairly regular basis, especially in the run up to elections. Time off in lieu will of course be available.
On-the-job training and regular opportunities for career development will be offered throughout the employment. This is a fantastic role for someone who is really looking to quickly develop their skills in a fast-paced, supportive environment.
During the lockdown staff won’t be working in the office or holding in-person group sessions, though this may change by the employment start date. We will use this time to particularly improve our use of digital campaign tools and our online training.
- To work as part of the staff team and key volunteers to help deliver the campaign, engaging the local community and building our volunteer capacity.
- Coordinate the delivery of an extensive community outreach programme, through doorstep and telephone contact.
- Coordinate and support membership recruitment and engagement plans in order to achieve the local party's membership targets.
- Plan and coordinate community engagement events throughout the constituency, liaising with branches and ward teams.
- Organising regular training sessions to enhance volunteer skills.
- Leading on the print and distribution of campaign materials, working closely with volunteers.
- Leading on the inputting of data and harmonisation, as well as supporting the local party’s compliance with GDPR.
- To support and organise the local party's fundraising and social activities.
- To support the production of campaign literature and digital content, especially those relating to members and supporters.
- To engage proactively and confidently with volunteers to promote their participation and sense of involvement in campaigning activities.
To undertake such other duties as the Campaign Manager may require further effective communication, campaigning, and organisation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a warm and friendly manner, with the strong ability to engage and motivate volunteers from a range of backgrounds
- Excellent organisational skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- Ability to work well as part of a team, as well as independently
Sympathy with the values of the Liberal Democrats and willingness to join the party
- Experience of managing volunteers, ideally in a community or campaigning capacity
- Experience of organising and delivering training
About Harrogate & Knaresborough Liberal Democrats
We’re an ambitious constituency with a huge amount of potential. We achieved a 51.5% increase in our vote share as a target seat at the 2019 General Election. Prior to this we held the constituency from 1997 to 2010 and ran Harrogate Borough Council from 1990 to 2003.
We’re now quickly on the road back to recovery, having recently hired a Campaign Manager and built an ambitious four-year development strategy. We aim to substantially increase our number of county councillors in 2021, win control of the district council in 2022, and win the parliamentary seat in 2024 — making this a brilliant opportunity for someone to jump in and help get big achievements under their belt in a short space of time.
Does this sound like you? Here’s how you can apply:
We will be holding interviews on a rolling basis and may appoint before the deadline, so please apply as soon as possible.
You can apply here: hklibdems.org.uk/apply-fieldorganiser
We will be reviewing applications blind of any identifying information prior to the interviews, so please ensure you don’t include your name or contact details on your CV or any of the questions that don’t specifically ask for such information.
If you would like to ask any questions, you can email Conor McKenzie (Campaign Manager) on firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work within the UK.
- We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
- The Liberal Democrats are an equal opportunity employer and would particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.